HAL Meetings in 2022
- Meetings are currently held virtually (rather than at the locations below). Watch for updates!
- For specific meeting dates, see the HAL Calendar.
- Additional information is announced via the HowardAstro Google Group.
- All HAL Meetings (and star parties) are held in locations which are smoke free by law. Help us protect our ability to use these facilities by not smoking.
HAL General Meetings (Open to the Public)
Next Meeting //
This Year's Meeting Topics & Speakers //
Review 2021 Meetings
General Meetings are held at 7:00PM on the 3rd Thursday of every month at:
The Robinson Nature Center (Map)
6692 Cedar Lane
Columbia, MD 21044
More information about Robinson Nature Center
Note: The Robinson Nature Center closes at 5PM and reopens at 6PM exclusively for the HAL meeting.
Do not arrive before 6PM or you will need to wait outside.
HAL Planning Meetings (Open to All Members)
Planning Meetings to discuss future club direction, events, meeting topics, outreach, etc. are open to all members. Attendance is encouraged.
They are usually held from 7:00 to 8:00PM on the 1st Monday of every month at:
Wegman's Market 2nd Floor Dining Area (Map)
8855 McGaw Rd
Columbia, MD 21045
Sometimes these meetings are rescheduled or cancelled due to holidays or board member unavailability.
Check our home page, posts to the HowardAstro Google Group, or the HAL calendar.
HAL's COVID-19 Policy for Events
- For HAL impromptu and member-only star parties, participants should wait for an invitation before approaching to look through others’ telescopes; respect each other’s desires for social distancing.
- Face coverings are encouraged for non-vaccinated people while participating outdoors.
- Face coverings are required for all inside the Alpha Ridge HALO building.
2022 General Meeting Topics / Speakers
Thursday, January 20, 2022 beginning at 7:00PM
Topic: Paulo's Discoveries from his Personal Observatory
Presenter: Paulo Cacella, Senior Consultant, Central Bank of Brazil
Quick Zoom Link. More options on home page.
Paulo has a background in Electrical Engineering with MBA in Big Data and
A.I. He has been an amateur astronomer since 9 years old and an active
researcher in fields like finance, philosophy and astronomy. His
observatory includes a 20in reflector on a HD32 Chronos mount, C14 with
Hyperstar, Meade 12ACF with LHIRESIII spectroscope, RC10 for astroimaging,
Meade 10 with a DSS7 spectroscope, FLT98 and Z71 APOs, Solar 120mm scope
and some others.
He is going to talk about discoveries that were made in his observatory,
software he developed for searching transient and asteroid/comets; he will also show
some of his astrophotos.
Thursday, February 17, 2022 beginning at 7:00PM
Watch this space for details about a very different kind of presentation in February!
2013 Meetings - Speakers and Topics
2014 Meetings - Speakers and Topics
2015 Meetings - Speakers and Topics
2016 Meetings - Speakers and Topics
2017 Meetings - Speakers and Topics
2018 Meetings - Speakers and Topics
2019 Meetings - Speakers and Topics
2020 Meetings - Speakers and Topics
2021 Meetings - Speakers and Topics
© 1999-2022 Howard Astronomical LeagueLast modified: January 19, 2022 @ 11:41 EST
All Rights Reserved